Chapter 4 – Line
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Starry Night, by Vincent van Gogh, indicates the power of the artist’s
a) expressive line.
b) analytical line.
c) classical line.
d) contour line.
2. Pat Steir’s series The Drawing Lesson Part 1, Line # 1 is about various artists’
a) unique expressive lines
b) similar implied lines
c) classical lines
d) lines of sight
3. Titian’s Assumption and Consecration of the Virgin demonstrates the power of:
a) stained glass.
c) gender associations with line.
d) lines of sight.
4. How is Sol LeWitt’s line best described in his work, Wall Drawing No. 681 C?
d) soft contour
5. Hung Liu’s paintings, such as Three Fujins, rely on contrasts between two very important elements
a) yin and yang.
b) her love of Mao’s Cultural Revolution and her need to paint.
c) carefully drawn structural lines and uncontrolled drip lines
d) All of the above.
6. The organization of visual elements in an artwork is called
a) an outline.
b) a still life.
c) a retrospective.
d) a composition.
7. Lines that create a sense of movement and direction are called
a) continuous line.
b) contour lines.
c) implied lines.
d) construction lines.
8. In House, how does Jaune Quick-to-See Smith evoke the simplicity of traditional Native American lifestyles that have disappeared?
a) complex metaphors and dynamic lines
b) simple black outlines and ironic messages
c) kinetic forms and gestural brushstrokes
d) political activism and romantic imagery
9. What cultural conventions did Robert Mapplethorpe challenge in his photographic portrait of female bodybuilder, Lisa Lyon?
a) the role of religion in art
b) the use of classical models in modern photography
c) the belief that line is the most important element in art
d) the traditional representation of the female nude
10. Hung Liu studied and taught to paint with a strict classical line that is associated with the style of
a) the expressionists.
b) abstract expressionism.
d) Russian Social Realism.
11. When a style of line becomes associated as an artist’s work, we say it is
12. Cezanne’s The Basket of Apples is full of what appear to be “mistakes” but are actually
a) devices to help the viewer understand the realistic nature of the image.
b) ways to make the composition more simplistic.
c) artistic choices meant to engage the imagination of the viewer.
d) ways to familiarize the viewer with the form.
13. What is generally the preferred medium of Andy Goldsworthy?
a) oil paint
d) natural materials found on-site
14. Which of these visual elements is most obvious in Andy Goldsworthy’s Hazel Leaves?
15. In Giacometti’s Man Pointing, our eye is directed down his right arm and past his pointed finger to some imagined point of interest beyond. This is an example of which formal element?
a) contour line
c) implied line
16. Line can be used to delineate edges of form in space, imply movement, and
a) create value by hatching and cross-hatching
b) be expressive of emotion or an idea
c) create color fields
d) give weight to a drawing
17. How can we describe Sol LeWitt’s use of line in Wall Drawing No. 681 C?
d) all of the above
18. Jacques-Louis David’s The Death of Socrates is set up in a system of right angles on a grid structure. How does this affect the content of the piece?
a) it doesn’t, it’s purely coincidental
b) it refers to the passion of the moment
c) it reiterates the rationality of Socrates’ actions
d) it is merely a compositional consideration
19. Which of these pieces illustrates the use of “expressive” line?
a) Gaudier-Brzeska’s Female Nude Back View
b) Van Gogh’s The Starry Night
c) David’s Study for the Death of Socrates
d) a & b
Short Answer and Essay Questions
20. Historically, many cultural assumptions have been made about line. For example, the concept of “analytic” or “logical” line is historically associated with what kind of art?
21. According to Sayre, how important is line for an artist?
22. What is the content of Jaue Quick-to-See Smith’s House?
23. Matthew Ritchie’s No Sign of the World is a multi-layered drawing that makes use of many types of lines. What do you think he means when he says, “Often, you’ll see figures being pierced by multiple fates that are sort of embedded in the lines. It’s like the lines in your destiny. Who would want a straight-line destiny? It’d be rotten, right”?
24. Hung Liu’s Relic 12 juxtaposes an image of a Chinese courtesan with the characters for “female” and “Nu-Wa” in a red box in the middle of the canvas. Who is Nu-Wa?
25. Compare and contrast the use of line in the works of Vincent van Gogh and Sol LeWitt.